Professional Staff Association
of the Maricopa Community Colleges
Professional Staff Development (PSD)
The total maximum amount, for 2015-2016 Fiscal Year, for approved professional growth activities, tuition, books and certification exams is $4,000.00. There may be changes to the available funds given the implementation of the new classified employee group. More information will be forth coming.
What is PSD?
Professional Staff Development exists to assist and prepare employees for positions of greater responsibility within the Maricopa County Community College District. It is important that skills be constantly refined in order to analyze, evaluate, reason, and make sound decisions. It is also important that employees have the opportunity to enhance achievement of long-range goals.
The goal of Professional Staff Development is to provide an incentive that will encourage the employee to maximize his/her scope of knowledge. Financial assistance may be given to eligible employees taking courses, course-required books, certification exams, or for attending an eligible activity,e.g., seminars, workshops, and conferences.
The employee must be a regular full-time Professional Staff Governing Board approved employee for a minimum of one full year prior to the starting date of the course or activity.
- Tuition Assistance
The course must be:
- Career oriented, or required as part of a degree program,
- Must be offered by a regionally accredited institution that is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (USDE), or
- If the course is not from a regionally accredited institution, then it must be from an institution that is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (USDE) or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or both (PLEASE NOTE: courses from such institutions may not be transferable to regionally accredited institutions and degrees granted from these institutions do not count toward MCCCD PSA educational advancement steps/stipends), and
- Must not be offered within the Maricopa County Community College District. Exception will be made to 100/200 level courses, if they are not offered within the Maricopa Community College District (MCCCD), or if they are nontransferable and required by the program to be taken at the respective College/University. Letter of explanation must be provided by the educational institution from where the class is being taken.
PSA Policy: Effective August 1, 2014
- Book Assistance
- The book must be required by the eligible course.
- Certification Exam Assistance
- If the position requires a PS employee to obtain or maintain a certificate or certification, the cost of the certificate/certification will be absorbed through the department/division/campus.
- The certification exam must be approved by the PSD committee- see Approved Certifications lists (Non-Technology and Technical) on the Certifications Guidelines page:
- Certification pursued must be career oriented or job related.
Note: If the desired certification is not on any of the approved lists, submit the Petition to Add Certificate form to the PSD committee.
- Activity Assistance
- The theme/topic of the activity (seminar/workshop/conference) must be job related, or prepare the employee for positions of greater responsibility within MCCCD. The activity must not be offered in a similar format and/or level seminar, workshop, or mini-course within MCCCD. Exceptions to this must include supporting justification for appeal, in writing.
- Travel considerations will follow the established District Travel Policies.
- Professional Staff Development funds can be used on domestic travel for eligible activities only. Funds may not be used for travel expenses associated with college courses or certification exams.
For more information refer to Staff Policy Manual.
For additional information contact the PSD Committee | email@example.com
Applications and Guidelines
Please note NEW application DEADLINE:
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 pm of the last day of the month (regardless of weekend or holiday) in order to be reviewed in the following month. Example: Application submitted between October 1 and October 31 by 11:59pm will be reviewed in November.
Please read the new Guidelines for the Tuition & Activity (conference, workshop, training, seminar) before applying for funds.
Click here to access FMS login page
User name: MCCCD-ORG\MEID (use your MEID, not the word MEID)
Password: your e-mail/HRMS password
Click Here for FMS Training Materials and Videos
Activity Travel Resources:
- Meals and Lodging Calculator
- Per Diem Rates
- Out-of-Country / Alaska, Hawaii Lodging and Meal Index:
- Find the OUTSIDE CONUS, NON-FOREIGN OVERSEAS AND FOREIGN rates
Select the COUNTRY/STATE from the drop down menu.
Select the Exclude radio button next to the Military Installations
Locate the travel destination and associated rates.
Note: the Meals Per Diem rate is the Local Meals (LM) amount.
The breakdown for partial day Meal can be done using the following percentages:
Breakfast 20%, Lunch 25%, Dinner 55%
Example: ISLE OF HAWAII: OTHER LM=$103
Breakfast 20% $20.60
Lunch 25% $25.75
Dinner 55% $56.65
MCCCD Accounts Payable Travel Reference
PSD Committee Members
||Cindy Cooper (Co-chair)
||Mary Davison (Co-chair)
||Angelica Mihailova (PG Coordinator)